Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Preparing for cineramic overload

I have not been paying much attention to films for years now, partly because I've been too busy and partly because I'm allergic to computer-generated special effects. Now it feels like time to change that, in part because there is a Victoria Film Festival, and the lineup on offer looks like it has a lot of interesting if quirky material. 

It seemed unwise to make the leap from non-movie-goer to film festival aficionado without preparation, so I've been easing into movies over the past few weeks. The urge to see some movies again may have started with catching 20 Feet from Stardom on a flight to South America in November. 20 Feet is a fun documentary, and worth seeing in the full length version rather than the shortened Air Canada cut. 

Over Christmas, we followed up with Llewyn Davis, which I found pointless and dry. I wasn't sorry I saw it, as a long-time Dave Van Ronk fan it was an interesting period piece. And I am now re-considering after reading this piece on the New Statesman web site. I may have been one of many who missed the point. 

Then came an opportunity to see Watermark, a documentary film by Jennifer Baichwal and Edward Burtynsky on the use and abuse of water. It is a beautiful film on a disturbing subject, much like Burtynsky's still photography. 

And finally, by way of boosting the quirky quotient, we went to Broken Circle Breakdown. The Georgia Straight got it right in the first line of their review: "If you only see one Flemish-language film this year about Belgians who sing stunning renditions of bluegrass classics in perfect English, make sure it’s Broken Circle Breakdown." I think I'm ready for 14 or more films over the next week.

The first day back from a trip to LA did not begin auspiciously: we showed up for the first film we wanted to see, and were turned back because all the spots saved for pass holders were taken. Boo. Mind you it was to have been shown in a 28 seat theatre, so only 5 places were available and, once it became obvious demand far outstripped 28 seats, another showing is scheduled for next Saturday. 

The second attempt last night was more successful. I saw Putzel, a romantic comedy centered in a New York lox emporium, and thus earning full points for quirky, which had been what attracted me in the VFF brochure. The acting was great, the story amusing, the characters as strange as you might expect, and given that it is truly a low-budget effort, it's overall a success. Great fun.

I will try to keep up these notes through the week, just to see if it can be done.

No comments: